Instalment Ninety Four


The King was a very smart and powerful man. He ruled his Kingdom fair and true. None doubted his reign.

“This enchanted ring gives me my power,” he once said after too many ales.

Over the years, this scuttlebutt caused many a scoundrel and some members of his court to remark, “With that magic ring, I could be King.”

One day, his lay-about son stole into the King’s chamber and took the ring. Striding to the throne room where the King sat alone, he announced, “Father, I have your ring, I am now King.”

“Take my crown too,” the King replied, “The ring is my might, the crown my reason.”

The crown, forged too large, slipped over the boy’s eyes.

“I feel the same,” the son complained.

“These robes provide my poise,” the King said wrapping his son up in cloth.

“Mal, scores before you have tried to take my place,” King Adroit sighed. “Thinking greatness comes from possessions, they give themselves away stealing trinkets rather than coming after the real source of power in the Kingdom. Me.”

The son drew his final breath, from a throat his father had slit.

The King was a very smart and powerful man.

No comments:

Post a Comment