Instalment Ninety Five


Necessity is the mother of Invention.
Repetition is the father of Learning.

They meet. He walks up to her. “I normally don’t come to these single parent things, normally I don’t come,” he says. “I don’t either, not unless I have to,” she quickly replies.

Taking turns making fun of other attendees, their hands bump as they laugh.

Apart from both being single parents, the only thing they have in common is a shared love for the same types of music, but sometimes that is enough. And for Necessity and Repetition it was.

The courtship is slow, dates at the same restaurant, ordering the same meal, Repetition’s choice.

They introduce the children.

Learning does not take well to the change in his usually regimented day. “I should be studying, I should be,” he yells into Invention’s face.

She pauses in her work at straightening a paperclip.

“I think I can fix your calendar,” she says reaching past him to reorder his timetable.

“Nup, can’t do it,” she shrugs, giving up.

“You must try more, try more,” Learn admonishes her as they set to work together to make the perfect schedule. Repetition and Necessity now have a happy family, happy family.

No comments:

Post a Comment