Instalment Sixty

“Did you know that in the 1880s, the fashion technology of the day meant the support for a ladies décolletage was not as rigid as it is today. So, as is the way for the French, the Eiffel Tower was designed to mimic the shape of the space that existed in the middle of a woman’s cleavage, mirroring the negative spaces carved out by the curve of each breast?” said Gasbag in an effort to show me up. I didn’t know that, but I never lose such exchanges, no one beats Bluster in a verbal bout of mental dexterity.

“That I had heard,” I reply, “Got the idea from the champagne glass I do believe, you can’t keep a Frenchman’s mind out of the gutter, they invented photography don’t you know, and latex and binoculars, saucy buggers they are. Now my dear fellow, did you know that US Marines used to be taught that if they didn’t understand an order, they were to shout out to their commanding officer, ‘Simplify!” One day some smarmy public relations type decided that this played into the stereotype that all the enlisted soldiers were mentally deficient, and so they changed it to Semper Fi.”

The author would like to note that you probably should not use these facts in you own conversations as he made most of them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment