Instalment One Hundred and Forty Six

Continued from Episode One - Lost for words

Black as Noir 
Episode Two - A nun's litany

The floor show was winding down when I walked into The Sisters of Easy Virtue. These girls put the put the art in tart and the dame in fundamentalist. They were known as the Bad Habits, not for the outfits they shed but because no man had the willpower to quit ‘em. They worked the room like pros, they knew whose pants were bulging with money rather than affection. I headed to the bar and went straight for the Hail Mary, flashing Kitty’s picture to the waitress.

“She ain’t here Mister; looks too chatty for our convent. We’ve taken a vow of silence don’t ya know!”

This dame could chew gum and crack wise at the same time. I slapped ten of my best prayers on the bar to see if I could take her confession.

“Yeah, I seen her round only she don’t work here no more, got scared bad when some heavy came looking for her, said he was her brother.”

Her brother huh? I hadn’t got the run around this bad since I failed to find the lost sailor, Red Herring. And this case smelled twice as fishy.

That’s when I saw her, running for the backdoor.

Next week – Cat Scratch Fever

No comments:

Post a Comment